UA-45840438-1

Search Spiritual Prozac's 11,904 posts—

19 August 2026

Journey Through the Afterlife I?






 

Gone West







Narrative I



















The Opening Passage

It is difficult to realise that one has passed through the change called death. To me, there was no sudden awakening in a strange, glorious heaven or a fiery pit—rather, I found myself standing in a familiar room, yet one from which the vibrant pulse of physical life had quietly ebbed away. The light was soft, shadowless, and grey, filtering through a window that looked out upon a landscape that seemed half-real, as though sketched in charcoal upon a faded page.

At first, I felt no emotion save a mild wonder. 

I turned away from the window and looked at the familiar objects in the room—the bookcase, the desk, the small silver bell I had so often used. 

Everything was in its place, yet nothing answered to my touch—my hand passed through the silver bell as if it were a shadow, and no sound broke the profound stillness.

Then a great terror fell upon me. It was not a physical pain, but a realisation of utter isolation, a crushing weight of darkness and despair that seemed to press upon my very soul. 

I was alone, cut off from all human warmth and divine light, cast into a bleak and friendless void where no prayer could pierce the gloom.

In that dreadful darkness, I began to perceive that I was not alone in my suffering, though each soul remained walled within its own self-created prison. 

Around me, in those sad, dark, and terrible places, moved other wretched figures, groping blindly through the gloom, wrapped in the cold garments of their own earthly sins and unheeded warnings.

I tried to speak to them, to offer comfort or ask where we might find relief, but my voice made no sound in that oppressive atmosphere. 

Each wanderer was completely absorbed in the grey misery of their own remorse, locked within the very barriers they had built during their life on earth, unable to reach out or perceive the possibility of grace.

I sank down upon the barren ground, utterly overwhelmed by the magnitude of my failure and the realisation that no external agency could lift the burden until the inward posture of my soul was changed. 

The darkness pressed upon me not merely as a physical shadow, but as the accumulated weight of every selfish act and broken law of love.

Yet, even in that profound despair, a flicker of hope eventually stirred. I remembered the words I had read on earth, though I had often doubted them—Though I make my bed in Hell, behold, Thou art there. 

Slowly, the realisation dawned that this was not a place of eternal vengeance, but a state of necessary schooling, a place where the soul must burn away its own impurities before it could aspire to the light.

As I thus reflected, I became conscious of a presence near me. Looking up, I saw a figure standing beside me, bathed in a soft, radiant light that seemed to push back the surrounding gloom. 




















It was a man of middle age, with a countenance full of compassion and authority, yet utterly devoid of sternness. He did not speak at first, but his very presence radiated a profound peace that began to calm the wild turmoil of my spirit. At last, the stranger spoke, his voice low and vibrant, resonating not merely in the air, but directly within my spirit. 

Rise, my brother, he said, for you have lain here long enough. The path to the light begins not with despair, but with the desire to serve others. Come, and I will show you the way.

I rose, though with difficulty, for my limbs were stiff and cold. As I stood, I cast one last, shuddering look upon the scene of my recent suffering—the barren plain, the groping figures in the mist. 



















The guide placed a steadying hand upon my shoulder, and together we began to move, not away from the darkness, but through it, towards a distant point where the grey fog seemed slightly less opaque. The only way out is through, he said quietly.



















As we journeyed onward through the grey fog, the oppressive atmosphere slowly began to lift, though the landscape remained bleak and colourless. 

I realised that my own inner state was directly reflected in these sad, dark, and terrible places, and that every step forward required a conscious releasing of the burdens I had carried from my earthly life.

At length, we emerged from the mist onto a plain where the light, though still grey, was clearer. In the distance, I perceived a line of low hills, and beyond them, a faint shimmer that suggested water. My guide paused and pointed. 

That is the River of Separation, he said. Beyond it lies the Borderland, where the conditions are less severe, and where you may prepare for the Summerland itself.

We approached the river, and I saw that there was no bridge. I shrank back, but my guide smiled encouragingly. The water seems deep, I said, 'nd I am weak. 't is only as deep as your reluctance, he replied. Have no fear. He stepped into the grey water, which barely reached his ankles, and beckoned me to follow. Summoning my courage, I stepped in, and found the water firm as stone, though it looked like a swift current.



















We stood upon the farther bank, and I looked back. The river I had feared was a mere rivulet. The guide smiled. You see, he said, your fears were groundless. This is the Borderland. Here, the light is clearer, and you will find many who will help you understand your new life. The landscape before us was still grey, but the oppressive darkness had lifted, and there were faint hints of green upon the distant hills.

As we walked, the guide explained that the Borderland was a place of preparation, not of punishment. 

Here, those who have recently passed over are instructed according to their needs and desires. Many, like yourself, were held in the lower spheres by their own mental state, and they require time and teaching to adjust to the reality of the spiritual world. You will see some here who are still learning to release their earthly habits of thought.



















I observed some who were engaged in building with blocks of stone, laboriously placing them, only to have them crumble and require rebuilding. Why do they do that? I asked. 'hey are still under the illusion that they can create a permanent spiritual reality from their earthly ambitions, the guide answered patiently. They must learn that only what is built on love and truth endures. They will continue until they understand the futility of selfish effort.

I looked at him, a new light breaking upon my mind. Then my work, I said, is not to build, but to help others to build on the right foundation? To serve, even in this preparatory state? You have grasped the first principle, he smiled, his face radiant. Let us find those who need a hand.

I approached the group of newcomers, who were huddled together in the mist. One woman, her face etched with the same despair I had known, looked up. Where are we? she whispered. I was so afraid. I knelt beside her, the guide's teaching clear in my mind. You are safe now, I said, my voice steady. This is the Borderland, and we are here to help you understand. The words, though simple, seemed to pierce the fog of her fear, and she began to weep, not in despair, but in relief.



















More newcomers arrived, and I found myself taking a natural place among the helpers. My own recent passage through the dark spheres made my words ring with authenticity. I spoke to them of the mental nature of their surroundings, of the power of thought, and of the need to release all earthly resentments. They listened, and I could see the shackles of their fear beginning to loosen. I was no longer a newcomer—I was a teacher.



















I realized that our teaching was not a matter of complex theology, but of simple spiritual mechanics. We were not converting them—we were merely reminding them of what their souls already knew. 

The most profound truths were the most accessible—that Love is the law of this universe, that thought is creative, and that forgiveness is the key that unlocks every prison. It was a work of infinite patience, but also of infinite reward.

I observed a small group of new arrivals who seemed less bewildered than most. They stood apart, looking about with an air of inquiry rather than distress. My guide noted my observation. These, he said, have come from a different environment. They have lived lives of intellectual or moral striving, and though they may have held erroneous religious or philosophical beliefs, their sincerity has prepared them for a quicker adjustment. They are the thinkers and the seekers, and they require a different kind of help than those who are simply recovering from shock.

The guide explained that the spiritual world was not a place of uniform experience, but one of infinite gradation, reflecting the soul's development. 

As in the earthly life, so here, he said. We are drawn to our own kind, and we progress only as we are ready. There is no forcing of the soul's growth, only the provision of opportunity. The path is open to all, but each must walk it for himself, and in his own time.

I saw a man sitting apart from the others, his head buried in his hands. He was surrounded by a dense, dark aura that seemed to shut out the light of the Borderland. 

My guide approached him gently, but the man shrank away. He is holding on to the memory of a great wrong, the guide said, and it has created a prison for him. He is not yet willing to forgive, and until he does, he cannot enter the light. He believes he is justified in his resentment, and it is this belief that binds him.

The guide waited patiently, radiating a love that was not conditional, but understanding. 

After a long while, the man looked up, meeting the guide's eyes. A flicker of doubt crossed his face, then a flicker of hope. With a visible effort, he unclenched his hands, and the dark aura seemed to shrink. I cannot carry it anymore, he whispered. The guide gently took his arm, and together they began to walk slowly towards the light, the man's burden left behind on the moss.

I watched them go, a profound lesson sinking into my soul. The guide had not argued, nor had he condemned. He had simply loved the man out of his darkness. This was the true alchemy of the spirit. 

It was a love that saw past the error to the divine spark within, and in doing so, fanned that spark into a flame. I knew then that my own path of service would require this same patience, this same unwavering vision.

I felt a sense of peace settle over me, a quietude that was not passive, but filled with potential. 

The guide looked at me, his eyes filled with a deep and knowing approval. You have completed your first phase of service, he said. You are no longer a patient, but a practitioner. The lessons you have learned are now yours to give. A new sphere of activity awaits you, where your understanding will be needed for those who are just beginning their awakening. Are you ready? I am ready,' I replied, my voice steady and clear. 

He turned, and I followed, walking side-by-side with him now, not as a student, but as a colleague. 

We moved towards the boundary of the Borderland, and I saw the mists begin to part, revealing a new landscape of gentle slopes and soft light. Here, he said, you will find those who have just crossed the threshold. They are confused and need the comfort of understanding. Your work is to assure them of the continuity of life and the reality of Love. Go, and may your service be blessed.

I stepped forward, alone yet not alone, for the presence of the Unseen was with me as never before. 

I approached the new arrivals with a heart full of compassion and a mind clear of doubt. They looked up as I drew near, their faces reflecting the familiar shadows of earthly uncertainty. Welcome, I said, and the very tone of my voice seemed to bring a measure of calm to their troubled spirits. 

You have nothing to fear. Life continues, and love surrounds you.

I spoke to them of the great awakening, of the transition which we call death, and of the beautiful life that awaits all who are willing to receive it. 

I found that as I spoke, my own understanding deepened, and the truths I uttered became more luminous. 

I saw their faces change, the look of fear giving place to one of dawning hope and understanding. They were beginning to comprehend that they were not alone, and that their lives had not been in vain.

And so I found my work. 

It was not a task of great preaching, but of simple, loving reassurance. I was a guide to the bewildered, a comforter to the sorrowing, and a friend to the lonely. 

I was learning that in the service of others, we find the true meaning of our own existence, and that the Love of the Father, which had reached out to me in my own darkest hour, was now flowing through me to lift the burdens of those who were following the path I had already trod.



















No comments:

Post a Comment