UA-45840438-1

Sunday, 27 November 2016

In the fullness of time

Do you ask, If, then, we have already sufficient knowledge of the conditions of a future life, what value has this spiritual intercourse?

First, I answer, we all want to believe in the future life. Does not every added assurance make it appear more probable? If in the providence of God and the development of man we have reached a point where, to certain temperaments at least, the veil between is taken away, may we not hope that it is perhaps a steadily growing possibility, yet to become an established fact? If I could learn all I might wish of that life; if I could answer any question that I long to know, predict the future, and solve problems through spirit agency—I should be unable to believe that this experience has any grounds for faith, it would so destroy my reverence and the sense of infinite progress. But what I have been allowed to know seems to be in harmony with the highest, purest revelations of truth which have come to us through the intuition of the great thinkers and seers of all time.

As the world in the fullness of time has received new dispensations, I believe that, more and more as we are able to receive it, we shall have continued testimony of the life to come, which shall stimulate our spiritual growth and increase our reverence and humility, emphasising the truth, Except ye become as little children ye shall in no wise enter therein.

Is it not something to know that our loved ones are living; that if they were true and good, they have their reward in the companionship of radiant souls and in the joys of the higher life; that having here built up the kingdom of heaven within them, they awoke at home? And how sweetly solemn is the thought that for the fallen and sin-sick there is such saving power!

Again you ask, What particular sect seems to be the church?

You will forgive my involuntary smile, though I do not wonder at your question. Verily, I have not received the faintest indication of any sect there. The shining ones have gathered, from all nations and religions, the pure and saintly of the ages, who have feared God, loved their brother, and worked righteousness. The condition there, depends solely upon progress in the spiritual life, without any reference to the helps which have been used.

Excerpt from Light on the Hidden Way, Ticknor & Company, Boston, 1886