UA-45840438-1

Sunday, 27 November 2016

Empty arms and aching hearts

I wish I might say to all mothers who sit with empty arms and aching hearts, that though for a time they may not watch the growth and unfolding of their little ones, yet does their present sorrow enfold unspeakable future joy. When they come to know how their children have been cared for, and led by wise and loving friends into greater possibilities of growth than we can imagine, I am sure the compensations will overpay the heartache of this temporary separation.

And to lives that have here been full of high, pure aspirations, but hedged in by cruel circumstances, what a release does death bring, opening brighter realities than their deepest longings and fairest visions have ever pictured!

Most impressive to the finite mind are also the subtle, far-reaching effects of seemingly small events. The more we realise the perfect order and beneficent purpose of the universe, the more solemn becomes our sense of responsibility, and as reverence deepens into awe, we confess, with the Psalmist of old, Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

Excerpt from Light on the Hidden Way, Ticknor & Company, Boston, 1886